A new phrase for your lexicon!

Post here items relating to Dapol.
darkscot

A new phrase for your lexicon!

Post by darkscot »

I see the new Dapol M7 is going to be 'DCC friendly'.

https://www.dapol.co.uk/N-Gauge-M7-0-4-4-Update
Modelling post war LMS. DCC control via Roco z21 & multiMAUS
Walkingthedog

Re: A new phrase for your lexicon!

Post by Walkingthedog »

That makes sense. Not "Ready" as you need to do some soldering.
Nurse, the screens!
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Though it is years since I have tried N gauge, I have to admit that the price seems reasonable and the method described to convert to DCC is not beyond the average modellers capability, and gives a better reliability then using DCC sockets and blanking plugs which are known to give the occasional issues for DC users.
This loco actually has a nicely thought out common sense approach which I actually like. Shame Dapol are not into 7mm NG. :D

But how best to describe it? DCC compatible?
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
Brian

Post by Brian »

IMO its not up to modern standards at all. :o To expect anyone to unsolder wires from a locos factory fitted PCB, remove the PCB and then solder wires to those left is totally unacceptable, regardless of skill level!

All new locos should be supplied from the factory as at a minimum DCC Ready - A suitable DC/DCC socket manufacture installed and a DC blanking plug fitted. Whether 4. 6, 8 or 21 pin or Next or even PLuX a conversion socket should be factory fitted.

IMO Dapol are making a step backwards!
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

I had one of the ‘original’ M7 locos by Dapol. I fitted a micro decoder by hard wiring and putting it low down in the cab.
It would appear that all Dapol have done is make the same conversion slightly easier by opening up the space in the bunker.

Hardly something to shout about.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
darkscot

Post by darkscot »

Brian wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:24 pm IMO its not up to modern standards at all. :o To expect anyone to unsolder wires from a locos factory fitted PCB, remove the PCB and then solder wires to those left is totally unacceptable, regardless of skill level!
I have just read the press release again. I thought the PCB was provided to allow you to solder a decoder ON to it. This does suggest a high level of 'let's just do the minimum' from Dapol.
Modelling post war LMS. DCC control via Roco z21 & multiMAUS
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

darkscot wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:17 am
Brian wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:24 pm IMO its not up to modern standards at all. :o To expect anyone to unsolder wires from a locos factory fitted PCB, remove the PCB and then solder wires to those left is totally unacceptable, regardless of skill level!
I have just read the press release again. I thought the PCB was provided to allow you to solder a decoder ON to it. This does suggest a high level of 'let's just do the minimum' from Dapol.
They use the word ‘replace’. Therefore the PCB has to be unsoldered and removed to make space for the decoder.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
brian1951

Post by brian1951 »

Yet another classic (Ratner) moment by Dapol.