Timber cutting services

All posts regarding baseboard construction
Stese

Timber cutting services

Post by Stese »

Hi All,

Due to major change in circumstances, the outdoor railway has been 'knocked on its head', as such... I'm now living alone, in a flat. On the upside, it's just me, so I don't have to leave space for anyone else if I don't want to! :lol:

Being a flat, I have no outside space to do any kind of cutting of larger sheet materials to rebuild my baseboards with.

Before I goto B&Q and use their cutttng service, has anyone used another cutting service? Who were they, were you pleased with the results? and what was the cost?

Many thanks for your input...

Steve D.
Father, IT Guy, HO/OO Modeler.
teedoubleudee

Re: Timber cutting services

Post by teedoubleudee »

Have you not got a local wood shop that could help? Luckily my town has and will supply all types of timber cut to my own measurements and will even deliver large items for a small charge.
Most people are shocked when they find out how bad I am as an electrician
Tricky Dicky

Re: Timber cutting services

Post by Tricky Dicky »

Most good timber merchants will cut material for you, for a price though, usually about 50p a cut. Cuts can be variable though as they are not usually set up to make cuts other than roughing to size. For baseboards you may not be too bothered about some splintering as long as cuts are straight and perpendicular.

I am not a big fan of B&Q but have to admit that those stores that have a cutting service have always done a good job for me in the past, accurate, straight and perpendicular with little splintering. These days I do my own cutting of full sheets.

Sorry to read about your reduced circumstances.

Richard