Two new additions brings total trains to four!

A place to show what you are building, altering, kit bashing etc.
Gixer

Two new additions brings total trains to four!

Post by Gixer »

Luke and myself went to our first model railway show in Dorking (UK) last weekend. We had a great time and got some really useful advice. Such a friendly bunch and only more than happy to talk.
Along with some other stuff we bought two used trains, a Hornby Class 37 and an old Hornby B12/3

The class 37 wasn't working so I cleaned the ringfield motor and it now runs like a dream, I don't think I'll pull the motor out and replace it like I did with my 125.
The B12/3 is a different story, it kind of worked but way very noisy. I've taken the engine apart (x03 I think) and cleaned it but the brushes are very worn, I couldn't find the oil seal things either. I've bought the brushes, seals and a new magnet. Is there anything else I should think about for that engine?
Brian

Re: Two new additions brings total trains to four!

Post by Brian »

Clean the motor commutator segments with ideally a fibre pencil and ensure the slots between segments are cleaned out - use the tip of a wooden cocktail stick. Lightly oil the motor bearings front and rear where the drive shaft emerges. Apply a small amount of light grease to the worm cog.
Only use oil and grease designed for use with model railways. Do not use spray lubricants like WD40 or thick oils such as 3 in 1 these are unsuitable.
When relacing the motors magnet ensure its fitted the correct way around or the loco will run in reverse to normal!
Most XO3 or XO4 locos are noisy runners!
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Gixer

Post by Gixer »

Thanks Brian, I didn’t know about the rotation of the magnet but that makes sense.

I bought one of the Gaugemaster lubricating needles, what grease would you use on the worm drive?
Brian

Post by Brian »

A light smear of white grease, such as made by Woodland scenics. Example... https://www.hattons.co.uk/41989/woodlan ... oWEALw_wcB

The oiler pen is ideal. But do remember the lubrication rule.... If you can see it (the oil) its probably too much!
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website