Vintage Hornby 3 rail. Advice, perspective, commentary, please.

Post here items relating to Hornby. Including all their subsidiary makes.
Chops

Vintage Hornby 3 rail. Advice, perspective, commentary, please.

Post by Chops »

I got a rather good deal on this Hornby set of vintage 3 rail. I want to make a small oval suitable for portaging to model train shows. It lacks track, but then it seems fairly abundant on eBay, at least for the small oval I have in mind.

That being said, where might I look to find vintage Hornby diecast structures?

I like the older Marklin metal roadbed track, would it be compatible?

Walkingthedog

Re: Vintage Hornby 3 rail. Advice, perspective, commentary, please.

Post by Walkingthedog »

Hi Chops. I reckon eBay is your best bet for buildings etc.
Nurse, the screens!
hunslet

Post by hunslet »

Hi Chops.
Up to about 1955 Marklin used metal based track with a centre solid 3rd rail. Then they changed to "Stud Contact" for the 3rd rail in which the 3rd rail is underneath the track bed and a "stud" projects through each sleeper (TIe) to make contact with a skate about 2 inches long under the loco.
The Hornby Dublo locos use "Spoon" or plunger type contacts which will not work correctly on stud contact track !
I have read that some HD locos have been converted to run on stud contact track as the "Skates" are readily available as they are a wearing item but how easy it is to do is not clear.
The metal Marklin track is called "M"track and is fairly cheap and readily available in Europe but the earlier solid 3rd rail is rarer due to age.
Hope this helps.
Colin.
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

Chops, i run Hornby Dublo 3 rail. I would stick to Hornby Dublo track, plenty on ebay. If you only want to run an oval, no points, you can use peco 00 flexi, cutting up an old piece and gluing sleeper and 3rd rail, in the centre. Works a treat. Solder i wire to middle, other to one side. However, these beasts draw a lot of current on start up. You will need a controller, with a lot of grunt. I use a H&M Duette, or clipper, from ebay. Any questions, just ask. john
Chops

Post by Chops »

Thank you, I tried posting an image earlier, but got stuck. Useful info.

Not imaged are the tender and a second coach. A small rake, but enough to demonstrate the charm.

I remain leaning towards Marklin 3 rail, is that a bad idea?
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

Chops, yes in my view. I was not happy with Marklin . Whilst easier to obtain perhaps, loco was designed to run on Dublo 3 rail track, and its as cheap as chips. Did you understand about controllers for 3 rail.
Chops

Post by Chops »

Thank you, Yellow Rose, what was your concern with Marklin 3 rail track, or studded, as it were?

Silver King arrived, and there are no wear marks on wheels or skid plate whatever. So, either it never worked or was never used, we will find out. I do intend to build a small exhibition layout for it, and while the Hornby 3 rail might be "cheap as chips," ( :D ), what with international shipping, and it comes either by a vessel under sail or a Haitian banana freighter via Cape Horn, the cost mounts to gold plated chips. So, either way I'm going to be out some pocket money. I just like that shiny, gray toy look of the Marklin product.

My interest now is to pick up one or two structures for this endeavor, I do not want to go too elaborate. but I seem to recall someone's vintage layout that sported a great many vintage die cast structures, and surfing the web I find no reference to these articles at all, save, perhaps for the die cast crossing gate. Can anyone point me in the right direction, link-wise?
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

chops, can you post a picture of Silver King, upside down. Let me see the underside of it. We can then establish, if it is 3 rail, or has been converted. Either way, you will need a more powerful controller, than you probably have. What controller are you using. I have a silver king, so can compre photos.
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

Re Marklin, once we are sure its 3 rail, by all means try their track. Its yelrow, by the way.
hunslet

Post by hunslet »

Silver King was a 3-rail loco and should have two spoon-shaped collectors under the first two driving wheels. (the 2-rail version was Golden Fleece)
If it has been converted to run on Marklin track it should have a flat "Skid" about 2 inches long in probably the same place.
The "Spoons" do not work well on Marklin stud contact track !
As Yelrow said a photo of the underside would help.
Colin.