Wiring point motors for a Peco 3-way point

geojay

Wiring point motors for a Peco 3-way point

Post by geojay »

I'm considering how to use a DCD-ADS-4sx decoder to control a Peco 3-way electrofrog point fitted with Peco point motors. I see the challenge in that for the left route, one motor will move both sets of blades but the decoder won't 'know' that the other motor has moved and therefore one of the frogs will be still connected to the wrong supply. Is there any way to link the motors in the DCC programming for one direction of movement but have them work independently otherwise, so that a single command will set the left route, moving both motors in the same direction but in the right direction the motors respond to commands independently?

I can see a possible solution by using a relay operated in parallel with the point motor on the 3-way end of the point which then operates the other motor via the control panel switch input on the decoder, thus meaning the frog is also correctly switched by the decoder.

I've no idea if my question and possible solution makes sense, I've found this a challenge to explain! Please let me know one way or the other?
Mr Bones

Re: Wiring point motors for a Peco 3-way point

Post by Mr Bones »

Have sent you a PM. Hope the images help a bit.
And the Lord said unto John “Come forth and receive eternal life”, but John came fifth and won a toaster!
RFS

Post by RFS »

Mr Bones wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:04 pm Have sent you a PM. Hope the images help a bit.
Why not post your answer here so the rest of the forum members can benefit from it?
Robert Smith
Mr Bones

Post by Mr Bones »

The images relate to Cobalt Digital IP motors, but I thought they might help explain some wiring options. Initially I was going to post them here, but it was in PDF format so had to convert them to images first and already had the PM open ;)

Anyway, here they are, hopefully they will help in a small way. I also hope it's ok the put these here as they're from DCC Concepts so I hope I'm not breaching any copyrights?

And the Lord said unto John “Come forth and receive eternal life”, but John came fifth and won a toaster!
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

I used Cobalt point motors on my two 3-way Peco points. Wired for both toggle switch and DCC operation - sorry strayed from Ops. original question.