Layout

For those modelling in either TT and 3mm scales.
DaleKB

Layout

Post by DaleKB »

Hi all,

I am new to all this and have decided that TT120 is the scale for me, I have just been having a play about in SCARM and just wanted opinions on the first draft of my planned layout.

So my thinking behind this was to have the outside two loops for passenger trains and larger freight trains and the inside loop and sidings for moving wagons about etc.

I will have a station towards the bottom left and a few other buildings about once I have sorted out the layout. Just wondered if this will work, have I got too much track for the space? or anything else you can think of.

thanks in advance
Dale
https://i.postimg.cc/Z5Zd7rsb/Layout-1.png
RogerB

Re: Layout

Post by RogerB »

Will you need to put the passenger/larger freight trains somewhere whilst not running them, or will they be lifted off the layout? R-
Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts.
DaleKB

Post by DaleKB »

They will be lifted off the layout when not being used.
RogerB

Post by RogerB »

Personally, I’d be trying to get the sidings a bit longer as per this image. Not great at drawing with finger tips, but hopefully you get the idea. A short straight where the x is and the point moved right a bit. Any reason they can’t come the other side more towards the building you are showing? R-

Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts.
DaleKB

Post by DaleKB »

Great thanks, I will have a look at those changes later, I will have to upgrade from the free version as run out of track :-)

I left the space by the building maybe for other buildings/car park/road, all possibilities just need to get my head around to what I want, getting the right mix of track and scenery.
Too Tall

Post by Too Tall »

Does the board have access from all sides ?
If it is against one or two walls, that width will make reaching over for scenery and placement, sorting potential derails etc difficult.
What is the total size available ?

Also, looks like you are planning with SCARM, I used that. A little tip, replace sections of track on the planer with peco flexi to reduce the track part count, you can then get a lot more track planning without splashing out ;)

I ended up swapping out all my Hornby track except points for Tillig as I found that quieter oddly ! If I did it again from the start, I would use Peco track throughout.
The Hornby track isn't bad, but you may need to de-stress some of the curves so they sit right, unless they have been sorted now.

As RogerB says, longer sidings are always a good idea, and something I wish I had done on mine, is a passing loop on the mainlines.
Are you planning on DCC or analogue control ?
DaleKB

Post by DaleKB »

Hi, I am not sure on location yet as we have decided to move house, so will just get a set to start with until we have moved and then will know more on available space, I am hoping on maybe a single garage size layout so will open up a whole new world :-).

Peco, I think that seems to be the track to go for.

I am going to go with DCC control, I need to really look into this to see what is best to go for.

thanks for the tips etc

Dale
Too Tall

Post by Too Tall »

For DCC, in terms of cost and ease of use, the Hornby HM7000 system is hands down a winner IMO.
I prefer using the controller for locos I am driving, but the app makes the CV setup and installing updates etc a lot easier, and is good for setting up the loco(s) that are running partially automated. It is also easy enough to switch between app and physical controller.

I know some don't like the fact it can only play 3 sound files at once, but I find it plenty, all personal choice I guess.

The smaller fitting DCC blue-tooth and sound decoders are not yet out, so I currently have HM7k in the large loco's and the shunters with standard 6 pin no sound decoders for now. Once the Dongle for the Elite controller is available, then other DCC decoders can have the option to be controlled via the app if required too.

People have crammed a BT sound decoder into the 08, but its a fair bit of work, I was happy just to get dcc and a stay alive in mine for now.
DaleKB

Post by DaleKB »

Too Tall, thanks for the info, I meant to say I love your layout, very impressive.

Yes I was thinking of going with the Hornby HM7000 system, quick question, for example the TT1002TXSM The Easterner Train Set - Digital (Sound Fitted), is that fully functional with the HM7000 system or is it sound only?

With using the Hornby HM7000 system, do you still need a physical controller?

Also if I am using motorised points how do you control them.

many thanks :-)
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

Yes the set you mention works with the HM7K app.
You don’t need a separate controller as the app effectively replaces it. All that is needed is a compatible power supply and a phone/tablet that will run the app. Hornby have details of compatible hardware on their own forum.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)