Buzzing turn out motor.

Help with designing your track work
Butch

Buzzing turn out motor.

Post by Butch »

Just starting to layout my very first track. Today I'm testing a turn out motor installation with a set of points on a piece of scrap base board.

First off, I was surprised that you only energise the motor briefly. I'd assumed you'd leave it switched in the direction you wanted, and that with this powered up I cold also use it to illuminate a lamp on my panel.

Secondly, it makes quite a buzz when I power it up. Not exactly very scale. Is there some way of quietening this?

Thanks.
All N Gauge
Brian

Re: Buzzing turn out motor.

Post by Brian »

Hi
I assume you're using solenoid point motors rather than electric motor operated point motors such as Cobalt or Tortoise.
Next with all Solenoid motors you should only use passing contact (momentary) levers or switches. Toggle switches are often used and are of the non locking type often refered to as (On)-Off-(On) style where the switch springs back to the central Off position when its released. A CDU (Capacitor Discharge Unit) is an ideal device to use with solinoid motors Normally only one CDU is needed for the layout - Cost around £8 to £12 depending on where purchased Example CDU [url=https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400583931383 ... R5rC9biyYw[/url]

Yes, solenoid motors do Buzz when power is applied. A CDU will reduce this considerably. As it only provides a brief pulse of power to the motors coil.
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Butch

Post by Butch »

Ah. I suspect that for other power requirements I'm going to need the PL-13 switch to sit under the turn out motor. Meanwhile, the buzzing does remain rather alarming.
All N Gauge
Brian

Post by Brian »

The "Buzzing" Is power being applied to the coil - Its normal especially when the power is AC. A CDU will reduce this as its output is DC regardless of the input being AC As too would using a DC power source to feed the motors - 19 to 21 volts 3.0 Amp power brick would be fine when used with passing contact levers or Sprung to centre Off switches or even Stud and Prob.
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Butch

Post by Butch »

Thanks Brian, I think you've answered everything I needed to know for now. Cheers.
All N Gauge