Wessyngton

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
IanS

Wessyngton

Post by IanS »

That's an old name for Washington.

My layout (or should it be many attempts at a layout) is intended to be a fictional area running preservation society diesels, some steam and some preservation modern(ish) Class73 intercity liveried passenger stock. (It's reflects the eclectic mix of stock and locos I possess!)

I built a medium sized layout then enlarged it - I've tested differing methods of fastening the track down from double sided tape onto the baseboard and then tried it onto foam. I tried pinning it with tradition track pins and also tried short but largish screws to the centre and then the sides of the track.

All of these worked. The reasons for not gluing include the fact I like to change things, frequently! With some of these methods changes weren't easy. I've now got some track screws (discussed in older version of this forum) and at present I'm relaying the layout with these, as well as adding multiple points for power with some isolating connectors thrown in for good luck! (I've not tested any of the power yet, so I don't know if I've made an error in doing it this way but I'll learn from my errors.)

I've also created a shunting yard, which at some point in the future should be connected to the main layout. This has been fastened down with track screws and uses new electrofrog points from Peco although at present I run DC only.

Alongside all these I started with an 8'x4' board setup 30-40yrs ago using mainly Super 4 track but with some Series 6 and convertor track. This is still sitting on it's side but the track isn't rusting so should be good with a good clean with a bit IPA and a track rubber. (Yet another 'in the future' item!)

Also, I've created a long narrow shunting area with Super 4 track which isn't in top condition. Hopefully it will be good enough once thoroughly cleaned.

I like varying my activity when I go to the 'train room' aka garage. Sometimes I lay track, sometime wiring, sometimes tidy up a little and take some photos (I've hundreds of photos of various stages of development so won't post them here or FB will need a new hosting plan!)

Here is just one of the shunting area - still a lot to do.
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
IanS

Re: Wessyngton

Post by IanS »

My progress may be slow, but I've now got all the PSU wired up, it just needs power applying and testing.
IanS

Post by IanS »

After over two years, some pictures! (I did warn that progress was slow.)

This is of a trial piece of board with some 'scenery' showing coaches and a wagon creeps in on one of them.

The grass is artificial grass mat approx 1m x 1m (cut down) purchased at HomeBase. It's the sort you buy to replace real grass in back yards.

The signals are old Triang ones I've had for many years as are the buildings. The coaches with the sides removed are part of the 'heritage' section that will eventually develop.

Locos don't feature in these photos as they are on the mainline layout and are DCC. This small test area is also wired for DCC and can be powered separately from the main layout by swapping out the plug in the back of the Prodigy Express 2 box.
IanS

Post by IanS »

One more photo!
Puddles

Post by Puddles »

Hello Ian
A quick question.
Does the grass matting act as a sound insulator?
I laid my track straight onto the plywood and after ballasting when running three or four trains at the same time it is very very noisy.

Puddles
It does not take me long to do five minutes work.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be.
IanS

Post by IanS »

The grass matting is only on a small area as it was bought to see if it would replace all the work needed for other methods. It's not a long enough piece to be able to say if it does reduce noise. My 'plan' for when/if I use on the main section is to shave off the grass where the track goes. This will reveal a rubber type black surface which will suffice for me. Where the grass isn't going up to the edge I'm hoping to use cork to keep rail level.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

What ever you do make sure the track is perfectly flat. My preference is to lay it straight on the board. If you must put something under the track cork is best as it is firm and flat. Ballast will negate any sound proofing.

Railways are very noisy places so why try to make them silent.
Nurse, the screens!
IanS

Post by IanS »

A rare glimpse of my evolving layout(s). This photo was taken to show the 'bridge' structure created today from a cut up 'downpipe' donated to me.

The grass mat hasn't been utilised on this layout yet (previous pics were of a shunting experiment). I've got one long tail-chaser with a rise to a small flat area and a drop back down.

The large oval contains two main ovals side-by-side with links and a shunting area to the top right of the pic. The 2nd oval has another oval with a shunting area inside. Lot's to do and I'll post a track sketch (it won't be an accurate plan) of the layout. I've further plans to take off a branch from the upper flat area to another section that will be Super 4 track to allow older locos to run better if they're unable to manage the newer shallower Series 6 (especially the points) but that is in the future!
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Wessyngton eh! Will there be a model of The Old Hall? A Transport Museum (Used to be the Aircraft Museum)?

Interesting use of the grass mat. I use pieces of longer grass mat for scenery.

Keep up the good work.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are the world
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought.
IanS

Post by IanS »

glencairn wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:12 am Wessyngton eh! Will there be a model of The Old Hall? A Transport Museum (Used to be the Aircraft Museum)?

Interesting use of the grass mat. I use pieces of longer grass mat for scenery.

Keep up the good work.

Glencairn
I'm collecting old coaches, wagons and locos (ebay parts or repair) to put in a junk yard (I wonder where that idea came from!) and have a collection of yesteryear cars in approximately 00 scale (they may be a little large, but it's my railway).
I also have a group of construction wagons (American style) for a building site and 2 failed 3D prints of houses to go with them! (They could be being built or demolished, I'm not sure yet.)

The grass mat 'section' has been dismantled, but I will be using the grass mats as I'm not keen on the mess of static grass. I have a clumsiness that would see the jars knocked over onto the floor or layout and the contents spilling out!