Change of car? Maybe.

A place to chat about non railway items. Please observe the forum rules!
Steve M

Re: Change of car? Maybe.

Post by Steve M »

Always the way John - especially as I saw how much was in his account when he did the bank transfer! :shock:
But, I got the right price that allows me to push on with the Kuga - low mileage, 5 year old should be on a transporter from Stockport early next week.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

Good luck with your purchase. Its a funny system these days. When i used to buy cars, you saw it on dealers car lot, tried it, bought it. now , you can see whats available, throughout uk, and they transport it in. I suppose it gives more choice, but i liked the old method. We spent many happy hours, going round dealerships. Presume, if you dont like it, you can choose another, in cornwall, or somewhere.
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

Well, this is taking longer than expected.
Of the five shortlisted cars, two sold before I could get to them, one had considerably more mileage than expected, one had a gearbox fault and the one I plan to buy took a week to be delivered to my local dealer.
That one needs a couple of small cosmetic things sorting out, but a week after my test drive I’m still waiting.
You would have thought that in these times they would be a bit keener to take my cash.
brian1951

Post by brian1951 »

I have just ordered a 2020 model Discovery Sport. Took 30 mins Steve. :)
Bandit Mick

Post by Bandit Mick »

Buying a car is one of the least pleasant experiences I can think of. However good the 'deal' may be, I always end up leaving the dealers with a funny walk (if you know what I mean)!
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

brian1951 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:17 pm I have just ordered a 2020 model Discovery Sport. Took 30 mins Steve. :)
My 'new' cars from this dealer have always been very quick to process, but as this is a 'second' car (third actually :D ), its pre-owned and maybe they are keener to complete the higher margin new ones first.

Or maybe it's revenge.....when they enticed me into the showroom to look at my previous new one I actually came out having sold one of my fleet to the salesman personally!
He's still got it and uses it as a trackday car at Brands Hatch - and what started life 20 years ago as a very basic 1600 Sierra turned out to be a regular a Porsche buster.

Still the new one will have to wait for a few days as I'm off to Silverstone in the morning.
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

Here's one I prepared earlier:

Postman Prat

Post by Postman Prat »

You've forgotten the roof
PP
The light at the end of the tunnel is probably a train coming towards you
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Obviously Steve is an "ageing" boy racer?
footplate1947

Post by footplate1947 »

I had a car for 2 weeks from Hertz last year. It was brand-new top of the range Mondao Estate only 4000 on the clock and I only describe it as an old bone shaker and was wondering if it had any suspension at all. It was top of the range, had every extra you could think of leather everything the lot but the suspension was rubbish. I got a more comfortable ride from my push-bike. New cars, waste of money, the tax is enough to put you off. For most people who buy them new cars are nothing but keeping up with the Joneses. Status symbols. Money pits the lot of them. I like the ones who say O I change mine regularly every couple of years. All I can say is they must like pay lots of TAX. My old Citroen C5 drives like a dream has had nothing spent on it except normal yearly main dealer servicing. She still has original clutch and no rust yet either and smooth as silk over the country lanes. Has power to overtake with ease and is now 13 years old and going strong. I call that good value for money.
If only there was enough hours in the day..................John