Refurbished shed

A place to chat about non railway items. Please observe the forum rules!
RogerB

Re: Refurbished shed

Post by RogerB »

Probably a bit nicer than under the patio. :D R-
Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts.
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

We don't have a shed - it get talked about periodically - should we have one? So everything is kept in the greenhouse - garden chairs, tables and all the usual garden stuff. Since the "mini" vacated the garage, the mower and lawn rake now reside there, along with bicycles and more garden furniture - although that has now been moved into the garden - so space for something else!

You obviously had the right idea Steve as regards the "holiday money" - I've had the car rental money refunded, BA is all done, but they said allow seven days for the refund to hit your account - the accommodation cost is currently with the credit card company - rental company said "No refund" which we expected, so credit card company will probably claw the money back, but then rental company get forty five days to dispute the claw back, and will probably hit the credit card again - then it down to the travel insurance - we paid a little extra for "disruptive" cover - so should get it back but it will take a while - then what to spend it on! A garden shed?
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

Don’t you need a few more MNs to complete the set? :twisted:
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Steve M wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:01 pm Don’t you need a few more MNs to complete the set? :twisted:
Yes six - don't think I hadn't thought about it!! :twisted:

One of the problems - if your fussy (!) is that of the six, three were "shedded" (is there such a word) at Salisbury (72B), and Hornby have never produced a M/N that was located there. Over the years I have bought Hornby M/N loco's that had a specific shed code, with a view to that loco being renamed and numbered to a loco that was located at the same shed. I think you can get "shed codes" from Fox Transfers and the like, but there so small it has been a job I've tried to avoid.
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

I wouldn’t say fussy, but having seen photos of Wykeham, I would use the term ‘precise’.
If you do decide to complete the fleet, have a look at RailTec - they produce 3D waterslide plates which look very interesting.

https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=2804
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Thanks for that link Steve - it does look very interesting. Barry
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

I’m hoping to try the 3D nameplates on one of my projects in future. Unfortunately the last one I did was not named in the real world so I’ll have to wait.
I have used the ‘ordinary ‘ RailTec transfers and I reckon they are superior to Fox and Modelmaster as they have less carrier film to disguise - great when doing lining.
railtec-transfers

Post by railtec-transfers »

Having become aware of this thread (thanks to those who have posted kind comments), I've uploaded a secondary image to the product page referenced above, to give a more "real world" insight into what the 3d shed codes look like. This is about the only one I have readily to hand, having recently upgraded laptop, and something of a rather crude close-up given these are 4mm, but hopefully sufficient to give an idea. Things to bear in mind:

- This was a test as somebody had asked for Caledonian Blue with an accompanying SC plate.

- The shed codes of your choice on item 4mm-9095 don't currently include the accompanying SC plate, although I do intend to add a similar parallel offering when I figure out how to print that 25th hour in the day.

- The entire shed code is raised, like the real thing, as are the outer rim, the shed code itself, and the mounting bolts to some extent.

There's a growing myriad of 3d bits on the site, including rivets, 3d aluminium kick plates, sub sector depot badges as well as conventional name plates, seen below. Hopefully this is ok with Admins (as I've just joined) as it will help illustrate the wider theme.

RogerB

Post by RogerB »

I've hidden your post for a moment Railtec - whilst I take advice re. selling. R-
Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts.
railtec-transfers

Post by railtec-transfers »

RogerB wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:50 pm I've hidden your post for a moment Railtec - whilst I take advice re. selling. R-
Understood, Roger. I'd included a photo of what the shed codes look like rather than the flat 2d representation which is on the web site, so that people could hopefully gain a real-world understanding of what they look like in person. It certainly wasn't intended to be a "selling" post, more a "this is where the hobby is now at" and "here's a visual illustration of what you're talking about from the horse's mouth" in response to the existing thread, but I apologise if it was taken that way and I can appreciate your need for deliberation.