New Layout Plan

Help with designing your track work
Steve1

New Layout Plan

Post by Steve1 »

Hi, BB
I'm all new to model railways.
I want to build a layout or copy one for my two Grandsons I'm 64 and probably to old for this?
I'm a carpenter so the baseboard isnt an issue.
I have a space for a modest(?) layout, 2360mm long by 1060mm front to back, height above floor will be 700mm approx. I can only access from the front long elevation.
I haven't a clue how to go about designing a layout I tried that SRAM software just baffels me so gave up sadly.
All I do know is I like Era 3,4 12VDC analogue (cant justify the dcc costs and complications, two controllers ,something that keeps them interested. ( you experts would probably call it a trainset) so I suppose a loop really.
I think in that space can cope with a 2nd radius?
I have a box of peco 100 streamline code 100 but no points yet would, I like to use the streamline ones insulated or live whatever it requires, a possible hidden section or elevated so the train disappears I'd like two tracks, set in countryside, possibly with small town or village with some industry a small quay or quarry. I like the model making it's all about the miniature with me I am amazed at the detail people get with scenery and making buildings.
The layout would be in a permanent (a big table really),location.
Is there anyone able to give me a steer. Or are my sights set too high and am I asking too much let me know if I'm rambling on just very new to RM and forums and frustrated I cant seem to get going!🤞👍
Best regards
bulleidboy

New Layout Plan

Post by bulleidboy »

Hi Steve1
Don't worry about your age, I didn't start until I was about sixty seven. You have a reasonable amount of space (about 7ftx3ft ish) - that will just allow 2nd radius curves. If you could have made it a little wider that would have allowed fourth radius, but as you can only get to it from one side, you would not be able to reach the back. I have given a link to free track plans - have a browse to get some ideas http://freetrackplans.com/index.html - you can certainly use your Code 100 track it is compatible with Hornby track, but personally I would use Peco points if you can. A loop or two with some sidings should keep the grandchildren interested. The board (table fashion) could be made to lay up against a bedroom wall when not in use (legs removed). The other option is the Hornby Trackmat - it usually comes with most sets, and you add Trackpacks until you have the layout finished - just an idea. Also watch (if you can) Youtube videos - people have posted on all aspects and how to do it - certainly can be inspirational. See what you like from the track plans and let us know how you get on. This can be an expensive hobby - especially when you start - and children's interests don't always last as long as you would hope. BB

PS: this is what you can do with the Trackmat layout - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7FU-LraeW4&t=140s - just a train set!! ;)
Steve1

New Layout Plan

Post by Steve1 »

Hi BB,
Wow that was quick.
The layout will be permanent but I bought from ebay The Hornby Coastal Freight definitely a train set it was old but never been opened came with all sorts of goodies a 040 tank engine with a passenger coach and three wagons all still wrapped in the original tissue paper.
The track radius with it is R609 a third radius giving a 1080mm diameter if add 50mm front and back for good measure that gives 1180mm which given a standard desk height of 700mm I reckon that's just about reachable. What do you think ? I just hate the thought of wasting those 8 sections of track!!!
Would it be feasible to and would I have the track length to elevate say the back of the track with one line going up and over?
Steve1
bulleidboy

New Layout Plan

Post by bulleidboy »

Hi Steve

I don't have any inclines on my layout (Wykeham - Somewhere in the south - Members layouts), and I know they have to be gradual to work well. I have attached a plan from a Cyril Freezer book that I have, that fits your measurements(?), and includes an incline and a hidden storage area - with your carpentry skills construction should not be a problem :lol: . The slight downside is that it has a "reverse loop" across the middle which would have to be isolated - not a difficult task - but if you wired it as is, it would probably short out. It is also very slightly smaller than your space, so you could stretch it very slightly. For a track to pass over another, I think you need about three inches clearance. BB

ImageIMG_0667 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr
Walkingthedog

New Layout Plan

Post by Walkingthedog »

The problem with having a board too wide isn’t whether you can reach the far side, it’s what you destroy on the layout with your body when doing so.

Welcome to the forum Steve.
Nurse, the screens!
bulleidboy

New Layout Plan

Post by bulleidboy »

Very true Brian - my boards are only two feet wide, and it's amazing how often there is a "twang" as a lamp gets caught on a jumper.
Stese

New Layout Plan

Post by Stese »

hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum!

Will you be doing DCC or DC control with your Raspberry Pi?

Although this hasn't been released, this may serve as some inspiration for you.. https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/hm6000-app ... ntrol.html

Regards,

Steve D.
Father, IT Guy, HO/OO Modeler.
Steve1

New Layout Plan

Post by Steve1 »

Walkingthedog wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:33 pm The problem with having a board too wide isn’t whether you can reach the far side, it’s what you destroy on the layout with your body when doing so.

Welcome to the forum Steve.
That's a very good point and given the covid lock-down the tummy could be a problem
Steve1

New Layout Plan

Post by Steve1 »

bulleidboy wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:14 pm Hi Steve

I don't have any inclines on my layout (Wykeham - Somewhere in the south - Members layouts), and I know they have to be gradual to work well. I have attached a plan from a Cyril Freezer book that I have, that fits your measurements(?), and includes an incline and a hidden storage area - with your carpentry skills construction should not be a problem :lol: . The slight downside is that it has a "reverse loop" across the middle which would have to be isolated - not a difficult task - but if you wired it as is, it would probably short out. It is also very slightly smaller than your space, so you could stretch it very slightly. For a track to pass over another, I think you need about three inches clearance. BB

ImageIMG_0667 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr
thanks very much for the plan
Mike309

New Layout Plan

Post by Mike309 »

Brian wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:04 pm Hi Mike
Welcome to the forum.
Do keep us updated on any projects especially if you do get to use Raspberry Pi etc
BTW have you heard of, or know about, MERG? Plenty of electronics for the model railway builder on their site.
Thanks, Brian.

I am already a member of MERG. Looks like an excellent resource, and hoping to solve primarily the challenge of train detection!

:geek: Mike.