Absolute novice looking for guidance

Just joined, say 'Hello' in here
mikeyboy

Re: Absolute novice looking for guidance

Post by mikeyboy »

Thanks very much for your responses gentlemen. They have been very encouraging and helpful.
Brian, I am thinking 00 at the moment but don't want to limit myself to just Hornby as a shopping option. Also, following recommendations, I have ordered a copy of your book Thankyou.
I think the most challenging thing for me will be understanding the electrical side of things I.e. Developing Circuit diagrams, how to manage power, how to extend initial layouts and so on. Also, avoiding short circuiting everything including the house!
Richard, very helpful points (no pun intended!). I dont have a huge area (about 9 m2 to fill eventually) and I think doing it in stages will be how I develop it. Hence why I think 00 scale at the moment.
My era is probably going to be based around the mining heritage where I live. So, probably centering the layout around a copper/tin mine and a harbour with maybe a village in between.
Obviously I will need to do some research for this.
As to budget, I think this will be determined by my wife!
Mountain goat, Thankyou for taking the time to put together a very informative response. It's given me food for thought.
Thanks again for all the responses.
Mike.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Hi Mike,
Well done re book. I'm sure it will help and hopefully you'll enjoy it. Keeps the Lambert family in food for a few days from the royalties of the sale too :D :o
All model railway equipment is powered from safe low voltage power supplies. I recommend only purchasing ready made power supplies as these will be totally safe and usually there is no easy access by the owner to the high mains voltages. You cant cause a mains power issue then too.
If you have questions with anyn part of building a layout just post the question and you're get plenty of help. :D
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

mikeyboy wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:55 pm, I am thinking 00 at the moment but don't want to limit myself to just Hornby as a shopping option..
Mike.
If you decide on 00, Hornby isn’t only company that produces it, there are quite a few others.
Nurse, the screens!
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

I agree - I think we all have a bit of everything!

Mike - you say you don't have a lot of room 9 m2? I think that might be more than many of us have? BB
mikeyboy

Post by mikeyboy »

Sorry BB, guess it shows how I don't know what I'm talking about. :) :)
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

I have an 0 gauge layout around the edges of an 8 X8 ft room.
Nurse, the screens!
Bandit Mick

Post by Bandit Mick »

O gauge is very tempting - a micro would be my way to go due to present space restrictions. However it’s still a bit too expensive for me at the moment.