Neptune Street

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
bulleidboy

Re: Neptune Street

Post by bulleidboy »

It's all coming along nicely - looks good.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Hi Carl, I have modelled water effectively by painting the base layers dark grey and green, then adding many thin layers of gloss varnish applied by brush and allowing each one to dry fully. I know the technique is old hat, but it can work well. My layout Sandy Bay has been featured in BRM and Model Rail and the photos show it off. Best wishes, Kevin.
Carl L

Post by Carl L »

Kevin,

Just had a catch up on Sandy Bay, lovely layout and great looking water, thanks for the advice.

Bit more progress tonight with the granite sets completed with a first wash. I really am going to have to take the bull by the horns and bring the tide in!

cheshire lines

Post by cheshire lines »

Nice work on the setts.

Also impressed by the weathering on the corrugated iron sheeting and the wagons. Did you do that yourself?
Carl L

Post by Carl L »

I can’t take credit for the wagons, the box vans and brown fish van are Bachmann and the white fish van is Lineside weathering. The corrugated iron is tin foil baking tray formed over the ribbed section of a carpet runner with a ball point pen, it’s just been roughly painted with acrylic coal black. I still think it needs some rust and moss adding.
Hound Dog

Post by Hound Dog »

cheshire lines wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:18 pm Nice work on the setts.

Also impressed by the weathering on the corrugated iron sheeting and the wagons. Did you do that yourself?
I was thinking exactly the same……… they look very realistic.
Carl L

Post by Carl L »

Not a lot of progress to show in photos, but having bored of gluing corrugated tin foil panels to the first fish shed roof I finally decided to have a blitz on the second roof - so 90 panels later the roof is done, apart from ridges. First shed now weathered a touch. The tide has also started to creep in.

Coffee stirrer wooden doors to fit and canopy supports.

Steve M

Post by Steve M »

Looks very good.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

I echo Steve's comment and would add that the sea wall looks very realistic.
Carl L

Post by Carl L »

Quite surprised how long it’s been since I posted, time flies.

Not a great deal of progress, I’ve been continuing on the quay side area, lights have been fitted and in the background the fish shed canopy supports are fitted and the doors are on. The ‘Dead Bod’ is my homage to all trawler men, the original was painted (as a drunken prank) on a shed wall at Alexandra Dock, Hull and came a be a familiar sign for trawler men sailing to and from Hull. It is now preserved in a Hull museum.

I still need to sort the goods platform surface, will likely resort to wet & dry paper painted a concrete colour. It all needs a lot of clutter and junk adding. Next will be a goods shed at the far end of the goods yard, just having a mock up with one or two ideas.