Neptune Street

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
Carl L

Re: Neptune Street

Post by Carl L »

Thanks for the advice Steve, whilst there is room underneath for the installation of point motors, once in place they would be inaccessible for any maintenance, so surface mounted it is. I’ve had a look at your ‘disguised’ ones, totally unobtrusive. And lift out section it is, I wasn’t keen on the lower retaining wall, it didn’t look right. Cheers.
Carl L

Post by Carl L »

Having put aside the issues with dirty track, I finished off the junction and installed what will be a bay for the platform and two dead ‘scrap sidings’ for non DCC converted stock which I’m starting to get a little fed up of just been stuck in boxes. Will need some more sidings somewhere.

Now back to the last project, the goods shed, in particular the girder roof, using Steve M’s jig method. This is the first attempt, whilst I’ve stuck to a simpler design, the finish is a bit rough, certainly not up to Steve’s standard. I’m putting this down to trying to cut the plastruct with a modelling knife, perhaps a more appropriate tool would be better. Think it looks better that the laser cut girder, but it’s going to come down to patience whether I stick with it. Still, was good to get back to modelling.

Steve M

Post by Steve M »

Carl, I used one of these - not a bad price on Amazon at the moment.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Multi-Angle-Cr ... 1809&psc=1

One day I might 3D print a version of the girders. :shock:
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
Carl L

Post by Carl L »

Thanks Steve, it’s looking like purchase will be made.

3D printed girders, now there’s an idea :D
Carl L

Post by Carl L »

The investment in a guillotine certainly made life easier and, after a few distractions, progress has been made with the transverse girders finished.

The likely position of the longitudinal girders which will split the roof into glazing on the top section and corrugated iron on the bottom. At least that will hide the slightly inaccurate girder ends.

Steve M

Post by Steve M »

Looking good Carl.
Carl L

Post by Carl L »

Yet another roofing project has started, the tedium of turning foil baking trays into corrugated iron sheets.

I’m not sure that the roof will be complete, otherwise it seems that the effort of making all the girders will have gone to waste. It’ll either be semi-derelict with strategically placed gaps, or the top sections glazed, or just left open, I’ve not yet quite decided.
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Whichever you decide, it looks very good - impressed.
Carl L

Post by Carl L »

Thank you BB, a long way to go yet and then there’ll be all the goods for the platform. Clutter, junk and fine detail is something I never seem to get round to.
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

The point is, Carl, you will know the girders are there. ;)
And if you need inspiration for clutter, just take a look at my workbench - I always seem to end up working in a space about 6” square. And I still lose things.