WEST ORTON

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
Steve M

Re: WEST ORTON

Post by Steve M »

I'm attempting to get my modelling mojo going again.
There was an article in one of this month's railway mags about the old Airfix (Dapol) village church which caught my eye. Found one online and spent a couple of hours assembling and applying the base colours - that is after correcting the twisting and warping of these kits from 60 year old moulds.
This morning, Sod's Law came out to play when I found that my brand new bottle of blue/grey wash bought only last year has completely dried up.
A Google search of 'Humbrol washes near me' suggested click and collect from Edinburgh. I can be impatient but an 800 mile round trip was enough to put me off.
I will have to content myself with preparing the base and then put my 'modelling mojo' back in its box where it belongs.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

In the same boat Steve, I have little interest in my layout at the moment.
Nurse, the screens!
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

Walkingthedog wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 4:46 pm In the same boat Steve, I have little interest in my layout at the moment.
Due to my involvement with a modelling project that rarely features on this forum, I have spent quite a bit of time dealing with queries on other forums. Regrettably some of the constant moaning on there (which we also have to counter) proves to be quite draining.
Fortunately it only occasionally shows itself on here.

Still, I should finish the church this week and another loco may drop through the letterbox (metaphorically speaking) later this week - it's currently on a dockside in Bremerhaven I 🤔.
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

The church looks very similar to the one Airfix used to produce very many years ago - you will need to create some 3D people either going in or out. I think at this time of the year everyone's interest appears to wane a little. I re-wired a point motor yesterday - that was the extent of my modelling for the week.
cheshire lines

Post by cheshire lines »

I think Dapol bought the old Airfix moulds a while ago and are still using them. I've used one of their signal box kits on my layout.

After doing nothing on my layout for a few months I've recently started to re-do some of the background scenery, trying to reduce the 'flat earth' look.
Not sure how successful it will turn out to be, but will post some photos when I'm a bit further on.
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

The modelling fraternity have certainly had their money's worth out of those old Airfix moulds.
I completed West Orton parish church after dinner. It probably needs a small light inside to show off the leaded windows to best effect.

bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

The finished church looks really good - you have done a great job on the painting. The roof appears to be very slightly distorted along the edges which adds to the realism of a very old building - great job.
I had the original Airfix church on my layout back in the late fifties, and my mother made grave stones for the church yard - trouble was they kept going up the vacuum cleaner hose - easily replaced.
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

Thanks Barry, no surprise the roof is 'wavy', it resembled a model of some alien DNA when it came out of the bag.
Parthree

Post by Parthree »

The church and surroudings are awesome :D
Brian

Post by Brian »

Lovely scene looks very real, a couple of sheep nibbling the long grass perhaps? :D
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website