WEST ORTON

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
RogerB

Re: WEST ORTON

Post by RogerB »

Brilliant. R-
Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts.
Brian

Post by Brian »

I agree with Roger, I personally woud not alter the canopy. It looks correct. The station building is striaght so wouldn't the canopy be the same?
Brilliant work :D
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

I wasn't clear. The awning is 'cut' from an island platform canopy. So I have the option to print those to stand at the platform edge........and that is most definitely curved.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

That looks fine Steve - I wouldn't change it.
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

The awning is done but I have the drawings for a traditional platform canopy for the island platform opposite the station building. That's where the curved/straight conundrum comes into play.
Maybe one to think about when it's too cold in the shed.
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

I've started some small cosmetic changes to the station. Basically , I'm pulling the station buildings closer to the platform edge and moving the footbridge to make the station look a little more compact.
There's a small amount of rewiring of the building lights (famous last words) but the biggest job is moving the pavements outside the station. These are laser cut MDF fixed with PVA. I've managed to get the old ones off and am slowly scraping the remains of the glue off.
It seems I used an exterior waterproof PVA!!
My go to for recreating tarmac for the platform and roads was to spray with a textured Rustoleum paint - fortunately it's as tough as old boots and has barely been marked by my scraping so far. I suspect it will be barely noticeable when it dries off overnight.
That's been the successful part of the week - yesterday the memsahib broke a toe (a week before our holiday that was supposed to include much walking) and today I reversed the car into a metal post while shopping for holiday supplies. :?
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Hope the pole was ok? (One has to have a chuckle or one will cry!)

Yesterday I glued two lollypop sticks together using wood glue, and held it with a mini vice for a couple of hours, but then the centre was glueing, but the outer two ends were coming apart... So I decided to get one of the unimat vices to hold one end, and used the mini vice to hold the other end and allowed runny superglue to seep into the crack between the two... BUT little did I realize that the superglue had glued the lollypop sticks to the hard plastic Unimat vice and glued the vice! How come the glue works so well on anything it is not supposed to work on...(Usually ones fingers!) ? :D

But yes. Hope damage wasn't too bad to car and whatever else happened can be put right.
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

The bl##dy pole didn't even get scratched!
There is a slight paint scratch on the tailgate - T cut and a small brush will sort that. A very small nick in the plastic bumper - black hot glue will sort that. But there is a large plastic trim panel/diffuser in the centre that has a big crease in it - no saving that. Found a new replacement part on fleabay for £50 so not the end of the world even if I have to respray it. I'll fire up the big spray gun rather than the airbrush if I have to although we have a very good automotive paint supplier in town that will make up two pack paint in rattle cans - ideal now that Halfords no longer stock car colours.
So, guess what I'm doing after our hols.
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

Not a big change, but the station building is now closer to the platform edge and the crossing shifted to the right.
Makes for a more compact and aesthetic composition.
Three station lamps have stopped working but that can wait.

RogerB

Post by RogerB »

Well done, I particularly like the arial shot. Great view of a busy station. Drone perhaps? R-
Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts.